February Chairman’s Message
February has a whimsical tradition that we celebrate on the 2nd. The remaining length of our winter is said to be able to be predicted by Punxsutawney Phil, a groundhog. In the popular comedy movie, Groundhog Day, Phil Connors, an arrogant TV weatherman, finds himself caught in a time loop, repeating the same day again and again. Since there are no consequences for his actions, why not participate in bawdy behavior and experience all that life has to offer? After finding himself unable to prevent the death of a homeless man over several time loops, he begins to change his life to avert similar accidents and disastrous situations for people he doesn’t know but about whom he begins to care. Since he learns to be a concert pianist and expert ice sculptor, he must have relived that day thousands of times to gain the expertise and sensitivity he displays by the end of the movie.
Will Maryland continue to suffer through its version of Groundhog Day? Will our citizens re-elect the same legislators who have proven they do not understand struggling families’ plights? Will our citizens re-elect those who think we can tax ourselves to wealth or those who display little common sense? Or will our citizens have learned from the time loop of the last three years, re-elect Governor Hogan, and provide him with a veto proof minority in the Senate and House of Delegates?
Under Governor Hogan, we have
- Created over $700 million in toll, tax and fee relief
- Proposed four straight budgets with no tax increases
- Created over 125,000 new jobs
- Provided Record funding for K-12 education three years in a row
- Introduced legislation to end partisan gerrymandering through a fair, non-partisan, open and transparent redistricting process
Will you help us break the time loop permanently to create a better Maryland?
What can all of us do to help?
1, Join a candidate’s team. We have great candidates running for county council, county wide races and legislative races. We need to elect 5 additional senators and 7 additional delegates to support Governor Hogan. Will you be part of the crucial crew that makes this possible?
- Help build your community by signing up to be a precinct leader. We have 195 precincts to cover for primary and general elections not to mention 7 early day voting sites. We need people to serve shifts during those days as well as precinct leaders to help organize and communicate with them. We can help you learn what you need to do and you will have fun with your neighbors.
3) Become and Election Judge (and get paid!)
4) Join fellow Republicans at their club meetings (http://www.aagop.org/republican_clubs) to learn from elected officials what is going on in Annapolis and the county, and to meet our new candidates.
District 3 (below) is “the nation's second-most gerrymandered district” (Washington Post!). ‘Marymandering’ leads to disparate communities unserved by their officials.
District 4 isn’t much better!